Interview Anaïk Trihoreau, Product Owner at OpenAirlines.
A few words about her background: she has 17 years of experience in software production in the Aeronautical Industry. She has been working at OpenAirlines for 11 years, providing expertise in software development, customer support, and product definition.
What is the SkyBreathe® Emissions module?
Every year, international airlines must fill up two reports about their CO2 emissions and fuel burn:
- For all airlines flying international: Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA). CORSIA is « a carbon offset and carbon reduction scheme to lower CO2 emissions for international flights, to curb the aviation impact on climate change » (1). ICAO adopted CORSIA in October 2016 as one of the four pillars used to reduce aviation net CO2 emissions. To learn more about CORSIA >>
- For all airlines flying in the Europe Union: European Union EU Emissions Trading System (EU-ETS). EU-ETS is « a cornerstone of the EU's policy to combat climate change and its key tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions cost-effectively » (2).
The SkyBreathe® Emissions module is dedicated to help users to fill up faster both the official CORSIA and EU-ETS declarations and to monitor the data gaps and their causes at a glance.
SkyBreathe® Emissions module homepage. Identify data quality at a glance.
Why SkyBreathe® Emissions module?
For an airline, it is a challenge to list all the flights and compute each of their fuel consumption, identify out-of-scope flights, reach less than 5% of flights with "data gaps," and fill up the expected reports. The task is tedious and time-consuming, leading to mistakes. In addition, the verification step by an external entity is usually a source of stress.
As an expert in collecting fuel data from airlines, based on our SkyBreathe Analytics eco-flying solution, and because we have a good and up-to-date knowledge of the official rules for the declarations, it has been natural to help airline professionals with such reports. We offer a tool for computing and compiling the emissions in one click to ease the declarations filling in.
What are the top 4 key features of the module?
- Reports ready to copy-paste in the declarations, using all five methods proposed by CORSIA and the two methods for EU-ETS
- Automated alerts raised on missing or erroneous data ("data gaps")
- Automatic correction with the official tools CERT and SET
- Export of flights and alerts to fulfill specific demands during the external verification audit
What are the top benefits of the module?
- Reduced margin of error thanks to scope and exemptions check: which flights must be declared, with up-to-date rules about countries, flight service types, maximum takeoff weight, etc.
- Alert of gaps all along the year to anticipate the last-minute issues
- A user-friendly interface to quickly fill out the final declaration
- Autonomous data integration in a few minutes
Get alerts on missing and inconsistent data for CORSIA and EU-ETS.
How does it work?
It's very simple! The user just needs to extract data from its airline information system in a specified format, then upload it in the SkyBreathe® Emissions module to get the results in a few minutes and check the data gaps.
In case of missing data, it is easy to identify the involved flights. Then, the user fixes the gap in the airline system and starts the process again.
Our users usually run this process once a year on the eve of the deadline to declare. Ideally, we recommend doing this once a month to fix data all along the year. You probably know the quote from Jez Humble "If it hurts, do it more often, and bring the pain forward."
At the end of the year, the user must upload the full-year data in the Emissions module and copy-paste the generated reports in the CORSIA and EU-ETS templates.
Predefined reports ready to copy-paste for CORSIA and EU-ETS
Want to learn more? Watch our demo video!
LEARN MORE ABOUT SKYBREATHE® 360° ECO-FLYING PLATFORM
SkyBreathe® is a software that collects all the data from the black boxes, weather, air traffic control, and maintenance. Through Big Data algorithms and Artificial Intelligence, it produces recommendations for airlines and pilots that let them reduce their fuel consumption by up to 5% without any modification of the aircraft.
Maximize CO2 emissions reduction, increase fuel savings, and easily spread green culture in your airline thanks to SkyBreathe®.